Renewing your license in Georgia can be done online, in person at a center, or by mail.
Your license can be renewed up to 150 days before the expiration date of your license. Allow up to 45 days for your permanent license to be delivered. Your renewed license will be valid for up to 8 years.
Renewing Your Driver's License - Online Services
Most customers can renew Online without visiting a center. You must log in or create a customer account to renew. Visit Online Services to get started.
- If your license is Suspended, Cancelled, or Revoked, then you can only renew your ID card or Limited Permit.
- You must be a Georgia resident and at least 18-years old.
- You must be a US Citizen. If your citizenship changed from your last license renewal, you must visit a center.
- Your current license, ID, or permit must be a GA Real ID document. (Have a gold or black star printed in the upper right corner.)
- For Commercial Renewals, visit Renew a CDL License
You are unable to renew online if:
- You would like to remove a restriction code from your license such as the requirement to wear corrective lenses.
- You would like to change your height, weight or photo or any other identifying information.
- You are 64 and older without an approved Vision Report or exam on file.
- Your document is still being printed and/or mailed from a prior transaction.
Renewing Your Driver's License - In Person
Persons applying for a Renewal will be issued an interim driver's license while a permanent driver's license is being processed. To ensure receipt of the permanent driver's license, the customer's current address must be on file with the Department of Driver Services (DDS).
If renewing at a center:
- You must submit the required License/ID/Permit Form. Select "Start Here" below to begin.
- At your visit, be prepared to take a new photo.
- Applicants who are 64 or older must pass a vision exam. If you cannot visit a center, view Senior Drivers for more information.
Get the required documents:
- You must bring your current license or id.
If you hold a Real ID license (Black or Gold star in the upper right-hand corner), you will not be required to bring in Real ID documents unless your address or name has changed. Name change and/or address documents must be provided.
If your license does not have a Black or Gold Star in the upper right-hand corner, you must bring in all Real ID Documents.
Please refer to Real ID Requirements for a full list of documents.
- View Fees and Terms for license fee information.
- DDS Customer Service Centers accept Cash and Credit/Debit Cards including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. We do not accept checks, money orders, or cashier checks. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- If your Georgia driver's license is expired for two years or more, you will be required to take and pass the following test to get a Driver's License:
Renewing your Driver's License - By Mail
The Georgia Department of Driver Services offers renewal by mail options under limited circumstances for U.S. citizen customers who are unable to renew their licenses in person.
Customers with Real ID documents can renew their Georgia driver's license, permit, or ID online. Your Real ID license or id will have a black or gold star in the top right-hand corner.
View Mail-In Renewals to see if you qualify.
Please note: Processing of applications usually takes about thirty (30) days once we receive your complete application package. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We recommend that you submit your completed package to DDS at least sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of your license.
Renewing Your Driver's License - Age 64 and Older
Customers age 64 and older are required to take a vision screening at each renewal period. Customers can renew in person, online or by mail.
- The minimum acceptable vision for a non-commercial license is:
- 20/60 in at least one eye, with or without corrective lenses and a field of vision of at least 140 degrees.
To Renew Online - Age 64 and Older
- Log into your DDS Online Services Account.
- Once logged in, scroll down to "Online Licensing Services", and select "Submit Vision Documents" and upload a completed
or a vision exam. Either form MUST:
- Be dated within the last two years
- Be completed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist
- Include the Visual Acuity Degrees, Horizontal Perception Degrees, or Monocular Field of Vision.
- You will receive an email indicating approved, rejected, or denied.
- Approved – Complete your renewal online.
- Denied – Renewal cannot be completed online. You must come into a DDS Customer Service Center.
- Incomplete – Review the missing or incomplete information. Resubmit the completed .
- NOTE: Customers may download and print a temporary paper license from their DDS Online Services Account. The permanent license will be mailed within 45 days.
To Renew in-person - Age 64 and Older
- Complete the required Online License/ID/Permit Form.
- Customers can visit any DDS Customer Service Center to renew and take the vision exam.
To Renew by Mail - Age 64 and Older - Identification Card (ID) only
The Georgia Department of Drivers Service offers a renewal by mail option for persons over 64 years of age who are unable to visit a Customer Service Center for an ID card only. This option is only available for U.S. citizens who are unable to renew their ID card in person or on-line.
To apply by mail, customer must submit the. Please follow instructions to complete the forms and submit them to DDS to begin the process.
Please note: Once a customer has applied, it usually takes about thirty (30) days for the application package to process. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We recommend that you submit your completed package to DDS at least sixty (60) days before your ID expires.