Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get a (Class C) License in Georgia?
A Class C Driver's License is issued to Drivers 18 years of age and older.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- If transferring from another state, the applicant must be at least 18 years old or 17 years old with an equivalent Class C non-commercial driver's license.
- If you are a Teen Driver, age 18 and older, holding a Class D License, you can perform a Class D to C Upgrade using Online Services or the DDS 2 GO Mobile App. Download from the App Store or Google Play Store.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
If taking an Automobile, Motorcycle Skills, or CDL Road Test, don't forget to Schedule a Road Test Appointment.
Get the required documents
- You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- You must surrender any out-of-state driver's license, permit, or ID Card.
- If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
- You must provide a copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from the state that issued the card.
- The MVR must be dated within the last 60 days.
- Note: A copy can be faxed to DDS directly from the other state agency.
- All documents must be in English.
At your visit
Be prepared to:
- Show all your documents.
- Pass a Vision Exam.
- If you're obtaining a license for the first time, you must
- Take and pass a Knowledge Exam
- Pass the applicable Road Skills Test.
- Take a photo.
- Pay the license fee. See Fees and Terms for more information.
- If you are under 18, please visit the Teen Driver page for information on obtaining your permit and license.
- If you transferring a license from another state or country, view Apply for a New Georgia License for more information.
- For other classes of licenses, IDs, and permits: License, ID, and Permit Types.