Reinstate License

Reinstatement requirements vary depending on the type of suspension and the circumstances of the conviction(s).  Multiple offenses can also impact your requirements and what you need to pay. If your license is suspended, create an Online Account and view your requirements. You can check your license status and get step-by-step instructions on what it will take to reinstate your license.

Below is a list of six common Driver's License Suspensions. This information is provided as a general reference only. To get the requirements unique to your situation, you must view your requirements which are available online.

  • 1. Super Speeder

    If the DDS receives the notification of your conviction for speeding,

    • at 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or highway
    • or at 85 mph and above on any road or highway

    you will be notified by first-class mail of the $200 Super Speeder fee. A second letter will be sent once the driving privileges have gone under suspension.

    The offender will have 120 days from the date of the notice to pay the fee to DDS. Failure to pay the fee in the time allotted will result

    Out-of-State drivers are subject to the same requirements as Georgia drivers. If you do not pay the Super Speeder fee, the DDS will impose a suspension of your non-resident driving privilege in Georgia. Out-of-State Drivers can use our Online Services Pay Fees option to pay fines. 

    Super Speeders FAQs

  • 2. Child Support

    Georgia law mandates the suspension of the driver's license of anyone who fails to meet his or her child support obligation(s). Child Support suspensions are triggered by electronic notifications to the DDS from the Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS).

    Upon receipt of notification from the DHS,

    • DDS sends notice to the non-custodial parent alerting him/her of the pending suspension
    • A grace period is offered to come into compliance with the child support obligation before the suspension is put into effect.
    • A child support suspension will remain in effect indefinitely until the non-custodial parent comes into compliance with his or her child support obligation(s).

    Reinstatement - Child Support FAQs

  • 3. Driving Under the Influence (DUI)

    Anyone age twenty-one (21) or older convicted of driving under the influence, DUI, in the State of Georgia is subject

    • to a suspension or revocation of his/her driver's license
    • or non-resident driving privilege for a period of 120 days to five (5) years depending upon the prior driving record.

    Convictions imposed upon Georgia residents by courts in other states can also result in Suspensions and revocations. 

    Reinstatement - DUI FAQs

  • 4. Failure to Appear (FTA)

    An FTA suspension occurs when a driver fails to appear in court or does not pay a traffic citation.

    Reinstatement - FTA FAQs.

  • 5. No Proof of Insurance

    Anyone operating a motor vehicle registered in Georgia:

    • Must have automobile liability insurance for at least the minimum limits required by law to drive
    • Failure to provide valid proof of insurance when asked, by law enforcement, will result in a driver's license or permit suspension.

    Reinstatement - No Proof of Insurance (First Offence) FAQs.

    Reinstatement - No Proof of Insurance (Multiple Convictions) FAQs.

  • 6. Points Violations

    Points are accumulated on a person's driving record as a result of certain convictions. Georgia driver's licenses are suspended for any person who:

    • accumulates 15 or more points within 24 months
    • anyone under age 18 who accumulated 4 points within twelve months
    • and for any person under the age of 21 who is convicted of a 4 point violation.

    Reinstatement - First Points Violations (Age 21 & over) FAQs

    Reinstatement - Second Points Violations (Age 21 & over) FAQs

    Reinstatement - Third Points Violations (Age 21 & over) FAQs

    For more information on Points and Point Violations view the Download this pdf file. Traffic Court Reference Manual .

Reinstatement General FAQs 

  • How can I get a copy of the citation that caused my suspension?
    • To obtain information on your traffic citation, please contact one of the following:

      • The court where the case is pending 
      • The law enforcement agency that issued the citation
  • How can I check the status of my license?
    • Your drivers license number is required to use these services: 

  • I need information on reinstating multiple suspensions. What do I do?

    If you have multiple suspensions or need help with a suspension not listed on our site:  

    • Use Online Services. These applications will include personalized step-by-step instructions for getting your license reinstated.  
    • Speak with a DDS Specialist in the Contact Center. Contact Us
    • You can also visit a DDS Customer Service Center to discuss your license.

Related Links: