Information for Non-US Citizens

Non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driver’s license are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia for tourism or business purposes. If you drive with a license issued by a foreign country, a law officer may ask for your passport or visa to verify the license is valid.

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days. A non-US citizen would be considered a resident of Georgia if he or she meets any of the following criteria:

  • If a person accepts employment or engages in trade in Georgia, and enrolls his or her children in a private or public school within ten days after the commencement of employment; or
  • If a person has been present in the state for 30 or more days.

The pre-requisites for issuance of a Georgia driver’s license include passing tests relating to vision, knowledge of our traffic laws (including road signs), and driving skills. Also, to be issued a Georgia’s driver’s license, the driver must be a United States citizen or have lawful status in the United States. Georgia law does not allow non-US citizens, non-resident drivers to operate a motor vehicle if he or she does not have lawful status in the United States.

Previous Licenses or Instructional Permits

  • Non-US citizens should present their Foreign/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card. Most Foreign licenses or Identification cards will be returned to non-US citizens.
  • Non-US citizens will be required to surrender their license, id, or permit in Georgia,
    • when applying for a commercial driver's license
    • if you hold a driver's license, id, or permit from any other U.S. state or the District of Columbia

Identity and Lawful Status Requirements

  • Non-US citizens are required to present valid immigration documents in person at a Customer Service Center to prove identity and lawful status in the United States. Original documentation must be submitted each time a service is requested pertaining to a driver’s license or identification card. In some cases, one immigration document is sufficient to prove lawful status. In others, additional immigration documents are required to prove lawful status. Visit Real ID Requirements for more information.

Note: Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time service is requested pertaining to a driver's license or identification card.

Social Security Number Requirements

  • An applicant must provide either a Social Security number or a letter of ineligibility for a Social Security number (Form SSAL 676).
  • Collection and verification of social security numbers are required by state and federal law prior to issuance of a driver’s license or identification card.


  • You must obtain a letter of ineligibility, (Form SSAL676), from the Social Security Administration if the Department of Homeland Security has not given you permission to work in the United States.


  • Non-citizens who have permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to work in the United States must apply for a Social Security number. To apply for a Social Security number or for further details on social security numbers for non-US citizens visit,

Other Documents Required

  • Documentation showing residential address, visit Real ID Requirements for more information.
    Refugees only: May present Form DS-20, Refugee Address Verification Affidavit in place of standard Proof of Residency document.
  • If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
    • You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.
    • The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.
    • Note: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
  • All documents must be in English.  

Related Links

Non-Citizens Driver’s License, Permit or Identification Card One-Time Extension

The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:

  • Must be an existing DDS Customer - currently hold a Georgia DL, Permit, or ID Card
  • The Georgia license, permit or identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
  • Must provide proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action and expired immigration documents.