Customers are allowed one free name or address change during the term of their original driver's license/permit/ID card.
To change your address a second time or subsequent time, there will be a $10 fee. If you are within 150 days of the expiration date of your license, you will be required to renew your license.
DDS is strengthening its protocols for address changes that do not occur in person to curtail fraudsters who try to take advantage of online processes.
To initiate an address change:
- Call the dedicated DDS customer service number 678-413-8858 to conduct a secure video verification.
- Visit your choice of DDS Customer Service Centers and bring one document with the new address on it and be prepared to take a photo.
New Residents - are required to update the address on their license, permit, or ID within 30 days of moving to Georgia.
Existing GA License/ID holders have 60 days to change their address.
Address changes can be done by calling the customer service number above, or in-person at a DDS Customer Service Center (bring one document with the new address on it and be prepared to take a photo).
Allow up to 30 days for the license to be delivered.
- You must be a US Citizen.
- You must be a Georgia resident.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a Real-ID license or ID. (gold or black star in the upper right-hand corner.)
When visiting a Customer Service Center, you must bring in the following documents:
- If you have a Real ID License or ID (gold or black star in the upper right-hand corner), only one (1) document is needed to prove residency.
- If your license is not a Real Id License or ID, you must provide all Real ID Documents which include two (2) proof of residency documents.
- For a list of acceptable documents proving residential address, visit our Real ID Checklist page.
- Be prepared to take a photo.
Applicant name changes must be processed, in person, at a Customer Service Center. Applicants are required to update the name listed on their driver's license/permit/ID card within 60 days, as required by law.
- For current GA Customers:
- If the applicant's name has changed from the original birth record or passport, the applicant is required to present certified legal documents supporting each name change. Supporting documents include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers, and/or legal name change.
- NOTE: All name change documents are required for new and new to GA customers.
- All documents must be in English.
- Applicants married in the state of Georgia, on or after November 1, 1982, and who wish to hyphenate a surname and married name must present a certified copy of the marriage license application reflecting the selection of a hyphenated surname.
- Applicants whose surnames have changed by reason of marriage, that occurred outside the state of Georgia, may obtain a driver's license/permit/ID card in the hyphenated married surname upon submission of a certified copy of a marriage license application or state-issued marriage certificate for the marriage.
- If presenting a divorce decree, it must contain a name-change order which will serve as legal proof of your intended name change.
- Be prepared to take a photo.
Applicants are required to update physical details, listed below, in person at a Customer Service Center:
- Eye Color
- For a Gender update, a court order or physician's letter certifying the gender change is required.
- The letter or court order shall state the person's name, date of birth, date of gender reassignment operation, and other identifying information.
- There is a $5.00 fee for a gender change.