The Georgia Department of Driver Services offers renewal by mail options, for U.S. citizens who are unable to renew their license in person, under certain conditions.
NOTE: Customers with Secure licenses can renew their Georgia driver's license, permit or ID online. Your Secure license or id will have a black or gold star in the top right-hand corner.
The following customers may utilize the mailing option:
- Customers stationed out of state in the military, and their dependents stationed with them.
- Customers attending school out of the State of Georgia, and their dependents who are with them. Remote renewals will be limited to one issuance.
- Customers temporarily working out of state, and their dependents who are with them. Remote renewals will be limited to one issuance.
- Customers who are physically incapacitated and unable to visit a DDS Customer Service Center will be issued a Georgia ID card only.
- Customers renewing online, but wish to have their license mailed to an address that's different from their residential or mailing address on file.
The application package is included in the. Please follow the instructions to complete the forms and submit them to DDS for processing.
Please note: Processing of applications usually takes about thirty (30) days once we receive your complete application package. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We recommend that you submit your completed package to DDS at least sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of your license.