Real ID Requirements
All permanent licenses issued in Georgia after 2012 are REAL ID Compliant. To verify you have a Real ID document, check the upper right-hand corner of your License/ID for either a:
Do you have a Georgia Real ID License/ID?
- If you are a US Citizen and have a Georgia Real ID card, you will NOT need to bring your documents in again unless you are doing:
- a name change
- a gender change
- or other services that require identity verification.
- Most license services can be performed using DDS Online Services or by downloading the DDS 2 GO Mobile App without visiting a Center. Check today to see if you're eligible.
Don't have a Real ID License/ID or do you hold an Out-of-State or Foreign License?
- You must visit a Customer Service Center and bring proof of all identification documents. To obtain your Real ID License/ID bring original or certified documents that prove the following or view the complete list of Real ID Documents:
- Identity Document (one document) - An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as a certified Birth Certificate, US Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, I-551, etc.
- Social Security Number - Your full Social Security Number (SSN) must be provided when you submit the required online License/ID/Permit Form.
- If the SSN fails to verify through the system, you will be required to provide proof from the list of acceptable documents. For a full list of SSN documents, view the Real ID Documents list.
- Two Documents showing Georgia residency - where you live (e.g. utility bill, phone bill). These documents must show a street address and be dated within the past six (6) months.
- Non-Citizens - must provide proof of identity and/or lawful status.
View the complete list of Real ID documents Online:
Download a printable Real ID Checklist:
- Name Change - If the name on your identity document differs from your current legal name, you must provide document(s) to show your name change history. For example, the name on your Birth Certificate does not match your current legal name due to marriage. NOTE: Documents are required even if your name is correct on your current license/id.
- Customers who hold a valid GA Driver's License or ID Card are to present the original or certified document which supports the most recent name change.
- Minors - may present a passport; however, proof of guardianship requires a certified birth certificate or certified court-ordered documents.
- Non-Citizens - Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time service is requested pertaining to a driver's license or identification card.
- Gender Change - A gender update requires applicants to submit a court order or physician's letter certifying gender change. The letter or court order shall state the person's name, date of birth, date of gender reassignment operation, and other identifying information. A passport showing the gender update can be used also.
- Additional Documents - Please view the license type and/or service pages for additional documents that may be required during your visit.