Renewing your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Georgia can be done in person or online.
General InformationNew Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)
- Your license can be renewed up to 150 days before the expiration date on your license. Allow up to 30 days for your permanent license to be delivered. Your renewed license will be valid for up to 8 years or 5 years if you have a Hazardous Material Endorsement.
- When renewing your CDL, an interim license will be issued while your permanent license is being processed. To ensure receipt of your permanent CDL, your current address must be on file with DDS.
- You must self-certify to a single type of commercial operation.
- You must provide a copy of your Medical Certificate and any applicable variance documents (i.e. Vision Waiver, Skills Performance Waivers).
- CDL Drivers with the following credentials CANNOT renew online:
- Non-Citizen CDL Holders
- CDL Permits
- Skills Performance Evaluation (SPE) Indicator
- Hazardous Material (H) or Hazardous Material and Tanker (X) Endorsement
To Renew Online:Renewing a Commercial License Online
To Renew Online with a Valid Medical Certificate
- Create an account or log into your existing DDS Online Services Account.
To Renew Online without a Valid Medical Certificate
- Complete and upload all pages (1-4) of the . The forms must be dated within 90 days.
- You will receive an email indicating approved, denied, or incomplete.
- Approved – Complete your renewal online.
- Denied – Renewal cannot be completed online. You must come into a DDS Customer Service Center.
- Incomplete – Review the missing or incomplete information. Resubmit the completed form.
NOTE: Customers may download and print a temporary paper license from their DDS Online Services Account. The permanent license will be mailed within 45 days.
To Renew in Person:
Skip a Step! - Cloned
At your visit:
- Bring your current CDL license.
If you hold a Real ID license (Black or Gold star in the upper right-hand corner), you will not be required to bring in Real ID documents unless your address or name has changed. Name change and/or address documents must be provided.
If your license does not have a Black or Gold Star in the upper right-hand corner, you must bring in all Real ID Documents. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for a full list of documents.
For Non-US Citizens, valid immigration documents must be presented during each visit. Please view the Real ID Documents list and refer to “Proof of Identity & Lawful Status – Non-US Citizens” for more information.
Be prepared to take a photo.
All CDL applicants must pass a vision exam or have a valid vision waiver.
- Pay the license and/or endorsement fees. See Fees and Terms for more information.
CDL Endorsement Notes
- Licenses with endorsements, except Hazmat, are valid for the term of the CDL License. The endorsements are automatically renewed with the CDL License without any additional fees.
- Licenses with a Hazmat Endorsement are valid for 5 years from the Threat Assessment date. Applicants must pass the Hazmat knowledge test and TSA Background checks to be renewed.
- TSA Background and Fingerprints are required for Hazmat for 1st-time issuance as well as renewals.
- If Hazmat Endorsements are added during the initial issuance, then no fee applies.
- All endorsements added after the initial issuance will require a one-time $5 fee.