List of Acceptable Real ID Documents

  • Proof of Identity - US Citizens (1 Document)
    Bring 1 of the following documents:
    • U.S. Birth Certificate/Amended Birth Certificate – Original or certified copy (Includes U.S territories and the District of Columbia).  Must have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health. 
    • Unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport Card
    • Official Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by U.S. Department of State (FS-240, FS-545 or DS-1350)
    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570) -  certified copy
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561) - certified copy
  • Proof of Name Change (any and all name changes)

    If the name on your identity document differs from your current legal name, you must provide document(s) from the following list to show your name change history:

    • U.S. Passport or Passport Card
    • Divorce Decree – Stating the name change - certified copy
    • Court Order for Legal Name Change – certified copy
    • Court Adoption Document – certified copy
    • Marriage Certificate/License – certified copy
    • Marriage License Application - certified copy
    • Customers who hold a valid GA Driver's License or ID Card are to present the original or certified document which supports the most recent name change.
  • Proof of Social Security Number (if required)

    If your Social Security Number failed to verify through the system, you will be required to provide any of the following documents:

    • Social Security card – Original or copy
    • Print-out from SSA with name and full SSN
    • W-2 or 1099 form from employer showing name and full SSN
    • Paycheck stub showing name and full SSN
    • SSA-1099 or Non-SSA-1099 form showing name and full SSN
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits Letter with name and full SSN
    • Federal/State Tax Return with Applicant’s name and full SSN. Also acceptable for proof of SSN for Dependents
    • Medicare / Medicaid card with Applicant’s name and full SSN
    • Selective Service Notice with Applicant’s name and full SSN
    • Military Discharge Papers (DD214) or Military ID with Applicant’s name & full SSN, Disabled American Veteran Card (DAV), DS-516, Military Leave Orders

    If the above fails to resolve the SSN issue, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.

    NOTE: Customers can redact or cross out non-essential information on Proof of Social Security Number documents such as:

    • account numbers
    • financial figures
    • or other information that does not obstruct your name and SSN
  • Proof of Georgia Residency (2 Documents)
    Bring 2 from any of the following document categories:

    The two (2) documents must be from separate sources or separate accounts (please redact account numbers).

    The documents must show your name and current residential address. P.O. Boxes do not prove residency.

    • Household Information – From a current or preceding calendar year – Mortgage, payment coupon, Lease, deed, HUD settlement statement, escrow statement, property tax bill, Homeowners insurance policy or premium bill, title search documentation, or Military housing agreement letter. Current (dated within the past six (6) months) valid rental contract/agreement, rent payment receipt for a home, apartment, mobile home, dorm, extended-stay motel.
    • Any physical postmarked mail delivered by the U.S.P.S. dated within the past six (6) months
    • Documents Issued by Federal, State, or Local Governments – From a current or preceding calendar year – Social Security documentation, Annual Benefits statement, Numident record, Social Security check. Government assistance documents such as Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment insurance claims, Disability, WIC, Georgia or Federal Income Tax Return or refund check, Voter Registration card, unexpired firearms license, unexpired Merchant Marine license, I-797A, I-797C, correspondence from DDS, USPS Change of Address confirmation, Jury Summons, Military discharge benefit statement, and other documents issued by Federal/State/Municipal government.
    • Financial Statements - Dated within the past six (6) months, please redact account numbers. Financial statement for bank/credit union account, investment account, credit card account, or loan/credit financing.
    • Utility Bills – Dated within the past six (6) months. Utility bill for services installed at your residential address (water, sewer, gas, electricity, cable/satellite TV, Internet, telephone/cell phone, or garbage collection). Please redact the account numbers.
    • Motor Vehicle Information – Vehicle Registration or Title, Insurance policy, or Insurance Card with the address displayed for the current year or dated within the past six (6) months.
    • Employer Documentation – From current or preceding calendar year – Employer verification including paycheck, paycheck stub, a letter from employer on company letterhead, or W-2 form.
    • School Records – School record/transcript for the current or prior school year, report card, student loan documentation, or form DS-1.
    • Medical Statements – From a current or preceding calendar year – Health insurance statement, explanation of benefits (EOB) for a claim, or a health care bill/invoice.
    • Other accepted documents: Georgia Department of Community Supervision Residence Verification Form; Refugee Address Verification Affidavit (DS-20); letter from a shelter, half-way house, or other similar facilities on letterhead, dated within the past six (6) months. **Accepted as stand-alone proof of residency.
  • Proof of Identity & Lawful Status - Non-US Citizens
    Bring 1 document for Proof of Identity and 1 document for Proof of Lawful Status (if required). 

    NOTE: Georgia Department of Driver Services does not accept translated documents. If a non-US Citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver's license within thirty (30) days.

    DDS will only issue a driver's license in a name that exactly matches the original immigration documents. 


    Required Identification Documents for Non-Citizens

    First Immigration Document

    (For Proof of Identity)

    Second Immigration Document

    (For Proof of Lawful Status)

    Unexpired Foreign Passport with U.S. Visa

    (Immigration Status A, B, E, H, I, L, O, P, Q, R or S)

    Valid I-94 or I797A Notice of Action

    Unexpired Foreign Passport with U.S. Visa

    (Immigration Status F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1 or M-2)

    I-20 (For F-1, F-2, M-1, or M-2 Status)


    DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2 Status) and Valid I-94 or I-797A Notice of Action

    Unexpired Passport with I-94 or I-551 with Asylee or Refugee Status/Stamp Not Required
    I-766 with Category Code: C08 Not Required
    I-766 with Temporary Protection Status Not Required
    I-766 without Temporary Protection Status Unexpired Foreign Passport
    I-766 with Category Codes C09, C10, C18, & A11

    Proof of Pending Application to Adjust Status - I-797C Notice of Action (dated within the last 5 years) with Case Types I-485, NACARA or Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR 42B). In some cases other documentation issued by USCIS, DHS, or other Federal agencies may be acceptable to demonstrate lawful status as defined by 6 C.F.R. 37.3 and as determined by USCIS.

    I-551 or I551 Stamp with Photo on I-94 form Not Required
    I-551 Stamp Unexpired Foreign Passport


Printable Real ID Checklist