How Do I Update/Change License Information?
Customers are allowed one free name or address change during the term of their original driver's license/permit/ID card.
To change your address a second time or subsequent time, you must renew your license and extend your term. If you are within 150 days of the expiration date of your license, you will also be required to renew.
New Residents - are required to update the address on their license, permit, or ID within 30 days of moving to Georgia.
Existing GA License/ID holders have 60 days to change their address.
Address changes can be done online, by downloading the DDS 2 GO Mobile App, or In-Person at a DDS Customer Service Center. You cannot perform an address change by mail or phone.
Allow up to 30 days for the license to be delivered.
Online or DDS 2 GO Mobile App
- You must be a US Citizen.
- You must be a Georgia resident.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Commercial Driver's License holders are not eligible for online services.
Note: There is a $5.00 discount if charges apply. Also, certain vision restrictions may apply.Login or Create Online AccountDDS 2 GO Mobile App
Applicant name changes must be processed, in person, at a Customer Service Center. Applicants are required to update the name listed on their driver's license/permit/ID card within 60 days, as required by law.
- For current GA Customers - If the applicant's name has changed from original birth record or passport, the applicant is required to present certified legal documents supporting each name change such as marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers and/or legal name change. NOTE: All name change documents are required for new and new to GA customers.
- All documents must be in English.
- Applicants married in the state of Georgia, on or after November 1, 1982, and who wish to hyphenate a surname and married name must present a certified copy of the marriage license application reflecting the selection of a hyphenated surname.
- Applicants whose surnames have changed by reason of marriage, that occurred outside the state of Georgia, may obtain a driver's license/permit/ID card in the hyphenated married surname upon submission of a certified copy of a marriage license application or state-issued marriage certificate for the marriage.
- If presenting a divorce decree, it must contain a name-change order which will serve as legal proof of your intended name change.
- Be prepared to take a photo.
Applicants are required to update physical details, listed below, in person at a Customer Service Center:
- Eye Color
- For a Gender update, a court order or physician's letter certifying the gender change is required.
- The letter or court order shall state the person's name, date of birth, date of gender reassignment operation, and other identifying information.
- There is a $5.00 fee for a gender change.
Prepare for your visitSkip a Step! - Cloned