How Do I Renew My License?
Renewing your license in Georgia can be done online, in person at a center, by mail, or by downloading the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
Your license can be renewed up to 150 days before the expiration date of your license. Allow up to 30 days for your permanent license to be delivered. Your renewed license will be valid for up to 8 years.
Renewing Your Driver's License - Online Services or Mobile App
A customer account must be established to use Online Services and the DDS 2 GO Mobile App. This account can be used for renewing your license and more instead of visiting a Customer Service Center.
Things to note when renewing online or using the app:
- Your current license, ID, or permit must be a Real ID document. (Have a gold or black star printed in the upper right corner.)
- Your license, ID, or permit must be a regular non-commercial driver's license, permit, or id that is current and not expired for more than 2 years.
- If your license is suspended, canceled, or revoked, you will only be able to renew an ID card or Limited Permit.
- You must be a US Citizen.
- You must be less than 64 years of age. Customers age 64 and older are required to take an in-person vision screening each time they renew.
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express, or Discover Card) is needed to process an online payment.
*Name changes cannot be processed online; legal documentation of the name change must be presented at a Customer Service Center.
Renewing Your Driver's License - In Person
Persons applying for a Renewal will be issued an interim driver's license while a permanent driver's license is being processed. To ensure receipt of the permanent driver's license, the customer's current address must be on file with the Department of Driver Services (DDS).
- Be prepared to take a new photo.
- Applicants who are 64 or older must pass a vision exam.
Gather the required documents:
- You must bring your current license or id.
If you hold a Real ID license (Black or Gold star in the upper right-hand corner), you will not be required to bring in Real ID documents unless your address or name has changed. Name change and/or address documents must be provided.
If your license does not have a Black or Gold Star in the upper right-hand corner, you must bring in all Real ID Documents.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful presence in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for a full list of documents.
- If your Georgia driver's license is expired for two years or more, you will be required to take and pass the following test in order to obtain a Driver's License:
- Fees and Terms
- DDS Customer Service Centers accept Cash and Credit/Debit Cards including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. We do not accept checks, money orders, or cashier checks. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Renewing your Driver's License - By Mail
The Georgia Department of Driver Services offers renewal by mail options under limited circumstances for U.S. citizen customers who are unable to renew their licenses in person.
Customers with Real ID documents can renew their Georgia driver's license, permit, or ID online. Your Real ID license or id will have a black or gold star in the top right-hand corner.
View Mail-In Renewals to see if you qualify.
Please note: Processing of applications usually takes about thirty (30) days once we receive your complete application package. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We recommend that you submit your completed package to DDS at least sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of your license.