Steps to get a motorcycle permit, including documentation and testing requirements. 

  • Checkbox

    Basic Requirements

  • Checkbox

    Plan Ahead

    All Customers visiting a center must submit the required Online License/ID/Permit form.

  • Checkbox

    Get the required documents

    • You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form.  Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
    • An ADAP or eADAP certificate of completion.

    • If you are under the age of 18, you must provide proof of school enrollment. All documents must contain the first and last name of the customer.

      • A notarized Download this pdf file. Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) form; 
      • Transcript provided by the customer's most recent school of attendance (Transcript does not have to be certified); Transcripts can be printed online in most school districts. 
      • Most recent progress or grade report.  
      • A current school identification card, issued by the school or school system.
      • Other forms of school identification.
      • If you are home-schooled, you must provide one of the following:
        • A Certificate of Enrollment from the Georgia Department of Education.
        • A “Declaration of Intent To Utilize a Home Study Program” filed with the Georgia Department of Education.
      • If you are under 18 and not enrolled in school, you must provide one of the following:
        • A high school diploma
        • GED
        • special diploma
        • certification of high school completion
        • or proof of enrollment in a GED program or a post-secondary school.
    • If you are 16, bring a Certificate of Completion for the driver education course completed at a DDS Certified Driving Training School

    • If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:

      • You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.
      • The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.
      • NOTE: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
    • All documents must be in English.
  • Checkbox

    At your visit

    Be prepared to:

    • Show all your documents.
    • Pass a Vision Exam.
    • Take and pass a Knowledge Exam.
    • Take a Photo.
    • Pay the permit fee. $10.00 See Fees and Terms for more information. 
    • Applicants under age 18 must bring a Parent/Guardian, Responsible Adult, or Authorized Driver Training Instructor with them to sign the form for license/id/permit. The Responsible Adult must provide paperwork to show their relationship. 
      • Note: The person who signs the form has the right to request your license be revoked at any time before your 18th birthday. 
  • Checkbox


    • Motorcycle operation in daylight hours only.
    • No passengers allowed.
    • No limited access roadways.
    • Safety equipment as prescribed by law.

    For more information on motorcycles, view the Motorcycle Homepage.