Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get a Veteran ID Card?
Veterans ID Card for U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard
- Applicant must have honorable active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces or 20 years of service in the National Guard.
- The veteran must be a resident of the State of Georgia at the time of application.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
Get the required documents
- Qualified Veterans must submit their Armed Forces Separation Papers (DD-214) or a Georgia Department of Veterans Service for more information. , approved by the Georgia Department of Veterans Service. The DS516B must be presented upon initial request for services. Please visit the
- You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- You must surrender any out-of-state driver's license, permit, or ID Card.
- If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
- You must provide a copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from the state that issued the card.
- The MVR must be dated within the last 60 days.
- Note: A copy can be faxed to DDS directly from the other state agency.
- All documents must be in English.
Activation for training purposes does not qualify an individual for a Georgia Veteran's ID card.
Applicants are not eligible for a Georgia ID card if they possess a valid driver's license from another state.
For additional information visit: Military, Veterans, and National Guard.
For other classes of license, IDs, and permits: License, ID, and Permit Types.
Medical Info on Driver's License or ID Card
- Members of the armed services and veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may request the medical condition be placed on their license. A diagnosis from a Licensed Medical Doctor is required.
- DDS will be offering this to all customers, and PTSD is not the only medical condition allowed.
- View the for more information.