Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get a National Guard Driver's License?
Georgia National Guard or Reserve Forces with at least 1 year of satisfactory service.
- Applicant must be a member of the Georgia National Guard or Reserve Forces in good standing and completed at least 1 year of satisfactory service.
- All applicants must be a resident of the State of Georgia at the time of application.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
Get the required documents
Applicants must submit the originalobtained from the local National Guard Commanding Officer. This form is also due upon every renewal of a National Guard Driver's License.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- You must surrender any out-of-state driver's license, permit, or ID Card.
- If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
- You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from the state that issued the card.
- The MVR must be dated within the last 60 days.
- Note: A copy can be faxed to DDS directly from the other state agency.
- All documents must be in English.
At your visit
Be prepared to:
- Show all your documents.
- Submit the required .
- Pass a Vision Exam upon initial issuance. Customers age 64 and older are required to take and successfully complete a vision screening at each renewal period. See Senior Drivers for more information.
- Qualified applicants may be eligible for a free driver's license. See Fees and Terms for more information
- If you plan to apply for any other class of driver's license, you will be required to successfully take and pass any required test for that license class.
- Applicants with a national guard driver's license may be exempt from paying renewal, testing, and application fees.
- A Veterans driver's license can be obtained after 20 years of service with the National Guard. A certification obtained from the Adjutant General of the State of Georgia is also required when a National Guard applies for a Veteran's Driver's License.
Medical Info on Driver's License or ID Card
- Members of the armed services and veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may request the medical condition be placed on their license. A diagnosis from a Licensed Medical Doctor is required.
- DDS will be offering this to all customers, and PTSD is not the only medical condition allowed.
- View the for more information.