Commercial Instructional Permit (Class AP or BP)
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply. Applicants between the ages of 18 to 21 may obtain a commercial driver's license, but will be restricted to drive in Georgia only (intrastate). On or after the 21st birthday, applicant must go into any Customer Service Center to have the "Georgia Only" restriction removed.
Possess a valid regular Georgia Driver's License.
Pass a Vision Exam.
Take and pass the required written knowledge exams. All CDL written (knowledge) exams must begin at least 45 minutes prior to the Customer Center closing time. There's a $10 permit fee that is paid prior to taking the knowledge exams. If all exams are passed, the $10 fee pays for the instructional permit. If any of the exams are not passed, the $10 fee is retained as a testing fee. The $10 permit fee would be paid again at the next test attempt. You must call to schedule an appointment. More information about required testing is provided in the Commercial Driver's Manual.
Take and pass any other applicable endorsement exams.
Federal and State regulations require drivers to certify their Driving Category - the type of driving they will be engage in. Your self-certification will determine if you will be required to provide a copy of your Medical Card.
Provide Medical Card if required. See CDL Medical Certification and Self-Certification Process for more information.
Provide Medical Waivers, if required.
New to Georgia applicants must surrender any out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card.
New to Georgia applicants previously issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card. The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. The DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- All documents must be in English.
FEES and TERMS, select for details.
- All applicants must be able to read and understand the English Language.
- Must operate the appropriate class of vehicle and be accompanied by a person who is licensed to drive that class of vehicle, who is fit and capable of exercising control of the vehicle and who is occupying a seat beside the driver.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR), which determines the class of commercial driver's license being issued.