1. The following drivers are exempt from the requirement of obtaining a commercial driver's license prior to operating a commercial motor vehicle:

     A.  Active duty military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty (including personnel on full time National Guard duty), personnel on part-time training, and National Guard military technicians (civilians who are required to wear military uniforms and are subject to the code of military justice);

    B.  Firefighters and operators of emergency equipment operating vehicles equipped with audible and visual signals while in the employment of a volunteer or paid firefighting organization. Emergency equipment such as a fire truck, hook and ladder truck, foam or water transporter, or other vehicles used only in response to emergencies are included;

   C.  Farm vehicle operators, provided, the vehicle is:

  1. Controlled and operated by a farmer, farm employee, or farmer's family member;
  2. Used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, farm supplies, or both, to or from a farm;
  3. Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
  4. Used within 150 miles of the farmer's farm;
  5. Registered in this state or another state
  6. Must be equipped with either a license plate or possess such other special designation issued by the state where such vehicle is registered and the license plate or special designation must indicate that such vehicle is a covered farm vehicle.
  7. A Farm Related Service Industry Waiver is required.

​D. ​ Operators of recreational vehicles;

2. Drivers who are exempted from having a commercial driver's license shall obtain licensure in the following classes of non-commercial licenses;

    A. Class E – Truck trailer or tractor-trailer combination with a gross combined weight rating of more than 26,001 pounds and the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,001 pounds;

    B. Class F – Straight truck or truck trailer combination with a gross combined weight rating.

    C. Applicants applying for a Class E or F noncommercial license must furnish an affidavit in lieu of a road test showing a minimum of 3 months or 3,000 miles driving experience in a vehicle which represents that class or obtain a permit.

3. If members of the National Guard, military personnel, firefighters and other operators of emergency equipment, farmers and operators of recreational vehicles apply for a commercial driver's license, they will be required to pay the application fee, driving skills test, and license fees unless:

    A. They hold a veteran's driver's license (veterans that served during wartime and veterans that honorably served outside of wartime or a military conflict where the President committed troops).     

    B. Submit a completed DS-516 (Veteran’s Driver’s License/Identification Card Form) to the commercial driver's license application or already hold or have held a Veteran’s driver’s license or permit.

    C. They are employed as a school bus driver with a city, county, state or school system.

Authority: O.C.G.A. §§ 40-5-156 and 40-5-142
Effective Date: 2/8/2017


Short Title
CDL Rule 1-1-.02