1-1-.01 Applications. Amended.
1. All sections on the Department of Driver Services application must be completed in their entirety.
2. Unless otherwise exempted in these rules or by law, each applicant must pay the applicable application, testing, and license fees prior to the issuance of a commercial driver’s license.
3. Applicants for the issuance of a commercial driver's license for the purpose of operating a public school bus for a city, county, or state school system shall be exempted from the $35.00 application fee.
4. No application fee, driving skills test fee, or licensing fee will be required from applicants possessing a veteran's license or those who are qualified for such pursuant to O.C.G.A.§40-5-36 and Ga. Comp R. & Regs. 375-3-1-.16. Such qualification shall be submitted with the form DS-516 (Certificate of Eligibility for Veterans Driver’s License/Identification Card) and must be provided when submitting an application to the Department of Driver Services. Veterans are not exempt from the fee charged for taking the driving skills test if administered by a third party tester.
5. Applicants shall pay one application fee for each class of commercial driver’s license, which shall be paid prior to the applicant’s first attempt at any applicable written test. If no written test is required, the applicant shall pay the application fee and skills test fee prior to attempting any applicable skills testing (i.e. to remove a restriction). If no skills’ testing is required, the applicant shall pay the application fee prior to issuance of the commercial driver’s license.
6. Each applicant applying for a CLP commercial or noncommercial instruction permit for Class A, B, C, or M driver’s license shall pay the applicable license fee prior to attempting the knowledge test for the instruction permit sought. If said applicant fails to achieve a passing score on the knowledge test, the license fee paid shall be considered a testing fee and retained by the Department. Any applicant failing to achieve a passing score on the knowledge test for an instructional permit shall pay the applicable license fee on each subsequent attempt until successful, at which time the fee shall be his or her license fee.
7. Applicants providing false information during the application process or who are convicted of fraud related to the testing and issuance of a Commercial License Permit (CLP) or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) are subject to the penalties set forth in O.C.G.A. §40-5-147(f)(1)(3).
Authority: O.C.G.A. § 40-5-156; § 40-5-147; 49 C.F.R. §383.71
Effective Date: 2/8/2017