Black Star or Gold Star
All permanent licenses issued in Georgia after 2012 are REAL ID Compliant. To verify you have a Secure/Real ID document, check the upper right hand corner of your License/ID for either a:
Do you have a Secure ID License/ID?
- If you are a US Citizen, and have a Secure/Real ID card, you will NOT need to bring your documents in again unless you are performing a name change, gender change or other related services that requires identification verification
- Most license services can be performed using DDS Online Services or by downloading the DDS 2 GO Mobile App without visiting a Center. Check today to see if you're eligible.
Don't have a Secure ID License/ID or you hold an Out of State or Foreign License?
- You will be required to visit a Customer Service Center and bring proof of all identification documents. To obtain your Secure/Real ID License/ID bring original or certified documents that prove the following or view the complete SECURE ID/REAL ID Document List:
- Identity Document (one document) - An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as a certified Birth Certificate, US Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, I-551, etc.
- Your Social Security Card. (one document) - Such as a W-2, SSA-1099, or Paystub may also be used but must show your full social security number. Visit Social Security Administration for more information.
- Two Documents showing Georgia residency - where you live (e.g. utility bill, phone bill). These documents must show a street address.
- Non-Citizens - see Secure ID/Real ID Document list for other required documents.
- Name Change: - If the name on your proof of identity document does not match the current name on your Driver’s License or ID Card, you must provide a certified copy with a seal; a legal name change document (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.). NOTE: Documents are required even if your name is correct on current license/id. (See complete list of Secure/Real ID documents for additional requirements.)
- Minors - may present passport; however, proof of guardianship requires a certified birth certificate or certified court ordered documents.
- Non-Citizens - Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time service is requested pertaining to a driver's license or identification card. (See complete list of Secure/Real ID documents for additional requirements.)
- Gender Change - A gender update requires applicants to submit a court order or physician's letter certifying gender change. The letter or court order shall state the person's name, date of birth, date of gender reassignment operation and other identifying information.
To assist with collecting your documents, DDS Online Services has created a Checklist Wizard that will allow you to print a custom checklist of your documents or you may choose to print the full list of acceptable documents.