Information for Non-US Citizens

Non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driver’s license are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia for tourism or business purposes. If you drive with a license issued by a foreign country, a law officer may ask for your passport or visa to verify the license is valid.

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days. A non-US citizen would be considered a resident of Georgia if he or she meets any of the following criteria:

  • If a person accepts employment or engages in trade in Georgia, and enrolls his or her children in a private or public school within ten days after the commencement of employment; or
  • If a person has been present in the state for 30 or more days.

The pre-requisites for issuance of a Georgia driver’s license include passing tests relating to vision, knowledge of our traffic laws (including road signs), and driving skills. Also, to be issued a Georgia’s driver’s license, the driver must be a United States citizen or have lawful status in the United States. Georgia law does not allow non-US citizens, non-resident drivers to operate a motor vehicle if he or she does not have lawful status in the United States.

Previous Licenses or Instructional Permits

  • Non-US citizens should present their Foreign/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card. Most Foreign licenses or Identification cards will be returned to non-US citizens.
  • Non-US citizens will be required to surrender their license, id, or permit in Georgia,
    • when applying for a commercial driver's license
    • if you hold a driver's license, id, or permit from any other U.S. state or the District of Columbia

Identity and Lawful Status Requirements

  • Non-US citizens are required to present valid immigration documents in person at a Customer Service Center to prove identity and lawful status in the United States. Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time a service is requested pertaining to a driver’s license or identification card. Visit Real ID Requirements for more information.

Social Security Number Requirements

  • An applicant must provide either a Social Security number or a letter of ineligibility for a Social Security number (Form SSAL 676).
  • Collection and verification of social security numbers are required by state and federal law prior to issuance of a driver’s license or identification card.
    • You must obtain a letter of ineligibility, (Form SSAL676), from the Social Security Administration if the Department of Homeland Security has not given you permission to work in the United States.
    • Non-citizens who have permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to work in the United States must apply for a Social Security number. To apply for a Social Security number or for further details on social security numbers for non-US citizens visit,

Other Documents Required

  • Documentation showing residential address, visit Real ID Requirements for more information.
    Refugees only: May present Form DS-20, Refugee Address Verification Affidavit in place of standard Proof of Residency document.
  • If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
    • You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.
    • The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.
    • Note: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
  • All documents must be in English.  

Non-Citizens Driver’s License, Permit or Identification Card One-Time Extension

The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:

  • Must be an existing DDS Customer - currently hold a Georgia DL, Permit, or ID Card
  • The Georgia license, permit or identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
  • Must provide proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action and expired immigration documents.