Frequently Asked Questions about renewing your license in Georgia.
1. When can I renew my Georgia driver's license/ID card?
You can renew your driver's license or ID card up to 150 days before the expiration date and no later than 2 years after the expiration date.
2. Can I renew online if I have a Real ID License? (star in the top right corner of license)
Yes, you may be able to renew your license using Online Services or by using the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
View Renew License or ID for more information and to see if you qualify.
3. What documentation do I need to bring when renewing a driver's license/ID card?
- 1 document showing your identity such as a birth certificate, passport, U.S. Citizenship, or proof of lawful status in the United States
- Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required License/ID/Permit Form.
- 2 documents with your residential address listed
For a complete list of required documents for US Citizens as well as Non-US Citizens, please view the Real ID Documents.
4. Can I renew my driver's license if my privilege to operate a motor vehicle is under suspension?
If your driver's license is suspended in Georgia or any other state your driver's license will not be renewed until the privilege to have a driver's license is restored. You can apply for an ID card during a driver's license suspension.
5. I'm not prepared to take a picture; can I use the photo currently on file from a previous Georgia driver's license/ID card?
A new photo is mandatory if you are unable to renew your Georgia driver's license online and are required to enter a Customer Service Center to renew.
6. Can I use my P.O Box as my address?
- Yes, your P.O. Box can be used as your mailing address. Please note a verifiable Residential Address must be provided for our records.
- The P.O. Box can be printed on a regular license/id and mailed to the P.O. Box but you must request that your P.O. Box be printed on your regular license/id. The Residential address is the default address.
- A P.O. Box cannot be printed on a CDL but your card can be mailed to the P.O. Box you provide. The Residential Address will print on your CDL document.
- For a complete list of documents proving your residential address, please view the Real ID Documents.
7. When will my permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card be delivered?
Customers will have their permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card mailed to them before the interim's expiration date if they meet all eligibility and verification requirements. The new driver's license/ID card will be received within 30 days of receiving the interim document.
8. Should I keep the interim Georgia driver's license/ID card after my driver's license/ID card arrives in the mail?
When you receive the permanent Georgia driver's license or ID card, the interim (temporary) driver's license/ID card is no longer valid and we recommend it be destroyed.
If you choose to keep it as documentation in case your permanent card is lost or stolen, please keep in a secure place to safeguard your personal information.
9. If my spouse is active duty military and stationed overseas, but I reside in a state other than Georgia, can I follow the renewal military process?
No, the spouse/dependent must physically reside with the person while on active duty in order to utilize the military renewal process
10. If I got married while stationed overseas; can I change my last name to my new married name through mail renewal?
No, mailed renewals will not allow any changes to personal information on the Georgia driver's license (name, address, etc.). This update can only be made at a Customer Service Center.
11. Is it possible for someone else to come in to renew my Georgia driver's license for me?
No, the licensee is required to appear in person to renew their Georgia driver's license. If your license is a Secure ID (star in the top right corner) License, you may be able to renew using Online Services or by using the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
12. Can I get a new Georgia driver's license with "under 21" removed, if I renew before my 21st birthday?
No, you must update on your 21st birthday or after, in order to have the "under 21" removed. At that time, you may be able to upgrade using Online Services or by using the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
13. I recently renewed my Georgia driver's license for 8 years, now I'm moving out of state, am I entitled to a refund?
DDS does not offer any refunds for any unused portion of a license term.
14. If the interim license issued to me at the Customer Service Center is lost or destroyed before the delivery of my permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card, how can I replace it?
Customers should return to a Customer Service Center with appropriate documentation and request another interim card. A standard $5 fee for lost driver's license replacement will apply. View Real ID Documents for a list of acceptable documents to bring.
15. What do I do if I discovered that my temporary license contains an error resulting in an invalid license or identification?
Please contact us immediately so we can replace the card at no charge to you
16. How long does it take for the new license to arrive ?
You should receive your permanent DL/ID card within 14 days of receiving your temporary. However, please contact us if you have not received it after 30 days at 678-413-8400.
17. How do I renew my Georgia driver's license if I am currently out-of-state?
If you are a full-time student attending school out-of-state outside of Georgia, a U.S. citizen working overseas or military personnel on active duty, you can request a Georgia driver's license/ID card renewal through the mail. This privilege is also extended to spouses and dependents of military personnel holding a licenses or ID, and living with the person who is on duty in a foreign domain or in a state other than Georgia. Viewfor the required packet and instructions.
18. Who do I contact to check on the delivery status of my permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card?
To check on the delivery status of a permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card, call the Department of Driver Services (DDS) Contact Center at 678-413-8400.
19. What should I do if my permanent Georgia driver's license/ID card is not delivered within 30 days?
If you live in the Metro Atlanta area, call Department of Driver Services (DDS) customer contact center 678-413-8400 to speak with a representative who can assist you.
20. What address will be printed on my license?
The residential address is required for our records and is the default address printed on the license/ID. You can however request that your mailing address be printed on your license/id even if the address is a P.O. Box. The P.O Box however cannot be printed on a CDL License. Only the Residential address will be printed on a CDL. But a CDL license can be mailed to a P.O. Box.