DRIVER TRAINING PROGRAM
A Driver Training School provides driver education courses approved by the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) for the purpose of assisting persons to meet the requirements to obtain a license to drive Class C motor vehicles in this state. These courses include, but are not limited to, a thirty (30) hour classroom and six (6) hours of actual behind the wheel instruction course; thirty (30) hour classroom instruction only course; six (6) hours behind-the-wheel instruction only course; and approved online courses.
WHO CAN BECOME A DRIVER TRAINING SCHOOL
Any person, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, public high school programs or local government entity giving driving instruction to ten (10) or more persons per calendar year for the purpose of assisting such persons to meet the requirements for obtaining a license to drive Class C motor vehicles in this state. The term shall also include any public school system offering a driver training course during the regular school day as part of a student curriculum at no cost to the student.
If you are interested in opening or operating a Driver Training School, you will be subjected to the following rules and regulations:
DRIVER TRAINING SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS
- Completed Driver Training School Application
- All applicants, including owners, partners, corporate officers, controlling stockholders, and/or high school directors, are required to complete the GAPS fingerprinting requirement for a national and state fingerprint-based criminal background check.
- All applicants, including owners, partners, corporate officers, controlling stockholders, and/or high school directors, must obtain and submit a certified Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) from each state in which they were licensed in the past 5 years except Georgia.
- $25 non-refundable application fee.
- Surety Bond with a principal sum of $10,000 for each location and Georgia Department of Driver Services as the obligee.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating coverage of at least $100,000/$300,000/$50,000 and listing Georgia Department of Driver Services as the Certificate Holder.
- Fire Code Inspection Report completed by the local fire marshal or agent (report cannot be over 90 days old)
- Copy of Unexpired Business License.
- Note: This requirement does not apply to Public Schools Systems.
- Certificate of Incorporation from the Secretary of State or a Trade Name form from local County Clerk showing registration of Doing Business as Name (DBA).
- Note: For the purpose of this requirement, Corporations and LLCs are considered incorporated and all other entities require the Trade Name form.
- with all required supporting documents.
- Paid receipt for student textbooks and curriculum material ordered.
- Approved Curricula:
- Drive Right - Prentice Hall
- How to Drive - AAA Traffic Safety
- Responsible Driving - Glencoe/McGraw Hill
- License to Drive - Alliance for Safe Driving
- Approved Curricula:
- Public School Systems Only:
- A notarized statement from the superintendent or assistant superintendent appointing a director responsible for the day-to-day operation of the driver training school.
HOW TO APPLY
- Register for your criminal background check through the
- Please submit your packet by mail, along with fees and all supporting documents to the following:
Georgia Department of Driver Services
Attn: Regulatory Compliance
2206 East View Parkway
Conyers, GA 30013
Please complete the application packet in its entirety to enable us to complete the process in a timely manner. It is advisable when mailing to use certified or mailing that can be tracked. Our goal is to completely process your application within 30 business days. Once the application and supporting documentation are received, we will contact you within 7-10 business days.