Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get a Veteran Driver's License?
Veterans with honorable active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or 20 years of service in the National Guard.
- Applicants must have honorable active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces or 20 years of service in the National Guard.
- Activation for training purposes does not qualify an individual for a Georgia Veteran Driver's License.
All applicants must be a resident of the State of Georgia at the time of application.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
Get the required documents
- Qualified Veterans must submit an original Georgia Department of Veterans Service for more information. , approved by the Georgia Department of Veterans Service, upon presentation of your Armed Forces Separation Papers (DD-214). The DS516 must be presented upon initial request for services. Please visit the
- You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- You must surrender any out-of-state driver's license, permit, or ID Card.
- If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
- You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.
- The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.
- Note: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
- All documents must be in English.
At your visit
Be prepared to:
- Show all your documents.
- Submit the required .
- Pass a Vision Exam upon initial issuance. Customers age 64 and older are required to take and successfully complete a vision screening at each renewal period. See Senior Drivers for more information.
- Qualified Veterans may be eligible for a free driver's license as shown on the completed DS516. See Fees and Terms for more information
- If you plan to apply for any other class of driver's license, you will be required to successfully take and pass any required test for that license class.
- Applicants with a veteran driver's license or id card may be exempt from paying renewal, testing, and application fees.
For additional information visit: Military, Veterans, and National Guard
For other classes of license, IDs, and permits: License, ID, and Permit Types
Medical Info on Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Members of the armed services and veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may request the medical condition be placed on their license. A diagnosis from a Licensed Medical Doctor is required.
- DDS will be offering this to all customers, and PTSD is not the only medical condition allowed.
- View the for more information.