Applying for a Georgia ID Card.

  • Checkbox

    Basic Requirements

    • There is no age limit. Any person old enough to sign their name, or make a mark indicating their legal signature can apply.

    • All Georgia licensed drivers are eligible for a Georgia ID card.

  • Checkbox

    Plan Ahead

    All Customers visiting a center must submit the required Online License/ID/Permit form.

  • Checkbox

    Get the required documents

    • You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form.  Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.

    • If you have received a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card or stolen:

      • You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.

      • The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.

      • NOTE: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites. You can send a fax to the DDS directly from the other state agency.

    • Applicants under age 18 must bring a Parent/Guardian, Responsible Adult, or an Authorized Driver Training Instructor with them to sign the License/ID/Permit form. The Responsible Adult must provide paperwork to show their relationship. 

    • Be prepared to pay the required fee. See FEES and TERMS for more information.

    • All documents must be in English.

  • Checkbox

    Additional Information

    • Applicants that have a valid driver's license/permit/ID card from another state are not eligible for a Georgia ID card. Only if they surrender the out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card, they are able to apply.

    • Applicants can apply for an ID card if a Georgia or out-of-state driver's license is valid, suspended/revoked, canceled, or expired.

    • Applicants that have a valid driver's license from another country are eligible for a Georgia ID card. You are not required to surrender your out-of-country driver’s license.

    • Customers with a valid Georgia License may be eligible to apply for an ID card online or through the DDS 2 Go Mobile App. You cannot apply for an ID card online if you're surrendering your driver's license.  If you are surrendering your license, you must apply for an ID card in person. 

    For the full list of ID cards visit - ID Cards.