Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get a Honorary Veteran Driver's License?
For a spouse of a disabled honorably separated veteran or unmarried surviving spouse of a deceased honorably separated veteran.
- Applicant must be a spouse of a disabled honorably separated veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who does not have a driver's license or an unmarried surviving spouse of a deceased honorably separated veteran.
- The spouse must be a resident of Georgia at the time of application.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
If taking an Automobile, Motorcycle Skills, or CDL Road Test, don't forget to Schedule a Road Test Appointment.
Get the required documents
- Applicants must submit an original Georgia Department of Veterans Service for more information. , approved by the Georgia Department of Veterans Service, upon presentation of your Armed Forces Separation Papers (DD-214). The DS516 must be presented upon initial request for services. Please visit the
- You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- You must surrender any out-of-state driver's license, permit, or ID Card.
- If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
- You must provide a copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from the state that issued the card.
- The MVR must be dated within the last 60 days.
- Note: A copy can be faxed to DDS directly from the other state agency.
- All documents must be in English.
At your visit
Be prepared to:
- Show all your documents.
- Submit the required .
- Pass a Vision Exam upon initial issuance. Customers age 64 and older are required to take and successfully complete a vision screening at each renewal period. See Senior Drivers for more information.
- Qualified applicants may be eligible for a free driver's license as shown on the completed DS516. See Fees and Terms for more information
- If you plan to apply for any other class of driver's license, you will be required to successfully take and pass any required test for that license class.
- Applicants with a veteran driver's license or id card may be exempt from paying renewal, testing, and application fees.
Medical Info on Driver's License or ID Card
- Members of the armed services and veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may request the medical condition be placed on their license. A diagnosis from a Licensed Medical Doctor is required.
- DDS will be offering this to all customers, and PTSD is not the only medical condition allowed.
- View the for more information.