Drivers with foreign licenses, do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless they become a resident of Georgia.
If you become a resident, you must meet the requirements for Identity, Citizenship, and Residency. If you are driving in Georgia with a license issued by a driver's licensing authority of a foreign country, a law enforcement officer may ask for your passport or visa to verify the validity of your driver's license.
- Georgia recognizes driver licenses issued by countries that have a reciprocal agreement with the Georgia DDS. The driver's license must be equivalent to a Georgia Class C Regular License.
- Driver licenses issued by the Republic of South Korea and accompanied by a License Certification Letter from the South Korean Consulate are exempt from taking the Georgia knowledge (written) and road tests. You will be required to take and pass a vision exam.
- If you are a driver from a nation that does not have a reciprocal agreement with DDS, you will be required to take and pass a Georgia's written, road and vision test to get your Georgia Driver's License.
- All drivers are required to present their Foreign/International License/or ID Card.
- South Korea ONLY: You must also present a letter from the South Korean Consulate.
- All Foreign/International Licenses will be returned with the following exceptions:
- You are applying for a Commercial License or Permit.
- You are a US Citizens with a license, permit, or ID card issued by any foreign jurisdiction or US Territory.
- Customers with dual citizenship US and foreign may choose whether or not they wish to retain a foreign driver's license unless applying for a Commercial License or Permit.
Social Security Number Requirements
- All applicants must provide either a Social Security number or Certification of Social Security Denial Status. a
- Collection and verification of social security numbers are required by state and federal law prior to the issuance of a driver’s license or ID card. You must present this form if required when visiting a Customer Service Center.
IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
You must complete a Certification of Social Security Denial Status Form (DDS-351). This form is available at the Customer Service Centers.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS BASED ON WORK AUTHORIZATION:
Non-citizens who have permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to work in the United States must apply for a Social Security number. To apply for a Social Security number or for further details on social security numbers for non-US citizens visit, www.ssa.gov
- Documents showing your identity
- Residential address
- U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States, please visit Real ID Requirements for more information.
Non-Citizens One-Time Card Extension
The DDS provides a one-time 120-day license/permit/ID card extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:
- Must be an existing DDS customer
- The Georgia license, permit, or ID card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
- Must show proof of requesting an extension for time to remain lawfully within the U.S by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action.