Skip a Step! - Cloned
How Do I Get an ID card for Persons with Disabilities?
Handicap ID for disability symbol, medical information, and or seating/transportation indicators.
- Eligibility for Placement of the Disability or medical information must be verified by a medical doctor on the Certificate of Eligibility (Form DDS-29) unless the permanent disability is obvious.
- Any person old enough to sign their name, or make a mark indicating their legal signature can apply.
Plan AheadSkip a Step! - Cloned
Get the required documents
- You must present documentation showing your identity, residential address, and US citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Your full Social Security Number must be provided on the required online License/ID/Permit Form. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- Furnish the original Certificate of Eligibility (Form DDS-29) completed by the applicant and medical doctor, if applicable.
- All documents must be in English.
- Customer has the discretion to select which medical conditions in section III of the Certificate of Eligibility (Form DDS-29) will appear on their driver's license or ID card.
- If seating and /or transportation indicators are placed on the driver's license or ID card, the documents must also include the disability symbol on the front.
- Applicants are not eligible for a Georgia ID card if they possess an unexpired driver's license from another state or country.
- The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is responsible for issuing Disabled Persons Parking Placards (hang tags) and license plates within Georgia. You will need to complete an MV-9D application available on the Georgia Department of Revenue website. Please note: Disabled persons parking placards will not be available at the Department of Driver Services Customer Service Centers.
- Medical and Vision Information.