Applying for a Georgia CDL
CDL General Information
- A commercial driver's license (CDL) allows you to operate a commercial vehicle or buses in Georgia and possibly other states. To obtain a CDL or commercial learner's permit in Georgia, you must meet all requirements for a valid, regular class C Georgia's driver's license.
- Drivers must be at least 18 years old to obtain a GA commercial license. NOTE: Drivers 18 to 21 years old will be restricted to drive in Georgia only (Intrastate). On or after the 21st birthday, the driver must go to the examination station and the Georgia Only restriction will be lifted.
What is considered a Commercial Vehicle?
- The following types and combinations of vehicles require the driver to hold a commercial driver’s license:
- Combination of vehicles weighing 26, 001 pounds or more,
- A single-vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26, 001 pounds or more
- A single-vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the driver)
- Any size vehicle which requires hazardous material placards.
CDL License Classifications:
- There are 3 basic CDL classifications: Class A, Class B, and Class C. Please note a GA Commercial Learner's (Instructional) Permit is required if you are applying for a CDL for the first time, upgrading your existing CDL, or adding a passenger or school bus endorsement.
- To view the basic requirements for each CDL License and Permits view License, ID, and Permit Types. More detailed CDL Rules and information can be found in the Commercial Driver's Manual.
- To apply for a CDL you must complete a CDL application; the application fee is $35.00. Submit the completed application fee and $35.00 to any Customer Service Center (except Jackson) and take the required written knowledge exams.
- All CDL written (knowledge) exams must begin at least 45 minutes prior to the Customer Center closing time. There's a $10 permit fee that is paid prior to taking the knowledge exams. If all exams are passed, the $10 fee pays for the instructional permit. If any of the exams are not passed, the $10 fee is retained as a testing fee. The $10 permit fee would be paid again at the next test attempt.
- The CDL Application for a commercial driver's license (CDL) may be obtained at the Customer Service Centers. The Commercial Driver's Manual may be viewed online or you may obtain at one of the DDS Customer Service Centers.
- Note: Fees are waived for veterans and school bus drivers who present the proper documentation.
- Additional testing may be required for Endorsements.
CDL Examination Stations
- Examination stations/Customer Service Centers are generally opened from Tuesday through Friday -8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Saturdays 8:00 am - 12:00 pm. Please check the local Customer Service Center for specific dates/times. The Albany, Between, Brunswick, Cumming, Dalton, Gainesville, Jackson, Milledgeville, Rome, and Thomson examination stations are the only centers that give CDL road tests and tests are given by appointment only. There is a $50.00 Road Test Fee. To schedule an appointment call: (678) 413-8500.