Commercial License (Class A, B, C)

Basic Requirements

  1. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply. Applicants between the ages of 18 to 21 may obtain a commercial driver's license but will be restricted to drive in Georgia only (intrastate). On or after the 21st birthday, the applicant must go into any Customer Service Center to have the "Georgia Only" removed.

  2. You must have a valid regular Class C Georgia Driver's License.

  3. Complete the CDL application.  The application fee is $35.00 and may be obtained at any Customer Service Center (except Jackson).  Note:  Fees are waived for veterans and school bus drivers who present the proper documentation.

  4. Pass a Vision Exam.

  5. If applying for the first time or upgrading must possess a valid Class AP or BP Instructional Permit. You are required to hold your CLP for 14 days before applying for a full CDL.  NOTE: The CLP is valid for 6 months.  

  6. Take and pass the required written knowledge exams.  All CDL written (knowledge) exams must begin at least 45 minutes prior to the Customer Center closing time. There's a $10 permit fee that is paid prior to taking the knowledge exams.  If all exams are passed, the $10 fee pays for the instructional permit.  If any of the exams are not passed, the $10 fee is retained as a testing fee.  The $10 permit fee would be paid again at the next test attempt.  You must call to schedule an appointment. Download the Download this pdf file. CDL Driver's Manual for more information on test requirements.                                      

  7. Pass the CDL Road Skills Test.

  8. Federal and State regulations require drivers to certify their Driving Category - the type of driving they will be engaging in. Your self-certification will determine if you will be required to provide a copy of your Medical Card. 

  9. Provide Medical Card if required. See CDL Medical Certification and Self-Certification Process for more information. 

  10. Provide Medical Waivers, if required.

  11. New to Georgia applicants must surrender any out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card. If the out-of-state card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.  The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. DDS will not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.

Additional Requirements for Hazmat Endorsement

  1. Pass the Hazmat Endorsement Test.
  2. Pass TSA Background Check
  3. Fingerprints are required for 1st-time issuance as well as renewals.

Documents Required

  1. Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
  2. All documents must be in English.

FEES and TERMS, select for details.

Commercial License Class Descriptions

  • Class A - Truck trailer or tractor-semitrailer combination in which the combined weight exceeds 26,001 pounds and the unit being towed exceeds 10,000 pounds. Class A drivers may operate vehicles in Class B and C with required endorsements. Applicants must possess a Class C driver’s license before obtaining a Class A and be at least 18 years of age. A single driver’s license, with a combination of classifications, will be issued to qualified persons who wish to drive various types of vehicles.
  • Class B - Single vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds and the unit being towed is less than 10,000 pounds. A class B driver may operate motor vehicles included within Class C. Applicants must possess a Class C driver’s license prior to obtaining a Class B driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.
  • Class C - Commercial Driver’s Licenses are issued only if the vehicle is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers (including the driver), or utilized to transport hazardous materials in quantities that require placarding.
For More Information, please visit the CDL Homepage