Address Change FAQs
1. How quickly does Georgia law require me to change my address once I move?
If you are New to Georgia, you should transfer/renew your Out of State License within 30 days of moving to Georgia. If you are an existing Georgia driver, you have 60 days to change your address.
2. I have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), can I change my address online?
No. Federal law requires all CDL transactions to be done in person.
Note: Drivers holding multiple documents may surrender their CDL to conduct an address change on other documents.
3. How much does it cost to have my address/name changed on my driver's license?
The first address/name change during a renewal period is free. If you have already received a free address/name change since your last renewal, charges may be associated with your address/name change request. Drivers holding multiple documents are required to change their address/name on all documents or surrender any documents they do not wish to change. Additional cost may be associated with an address change request.
4. As a Non-US citizen, can I change my address online?
No, all Non-US citizen must come into a Customer Service Center for all driver’s license/permit/ID card transactions.
5. When I renew my driver's license/permit/ID card online, can I change my address at the same time?
Yes, if you have a Secure Driver’s License or ID with a gold or black star in the upper right hand corner of your license.
If you do not have a Secure driver’s license or ID, you will need to follow the instructions for renewing in person at any local Customer Service Center (CSC).
6. Can I change my address if my driver's license has been suspended, canceled or revoked?
No, however, if eligible you can obtain an ID card or limited permit with your new address.
7. What documentation is required when changing my Georgia address at a Customer Service Center (CSC)?
If you already have a Secure Driver’s License or your current driver’s license is more than 6 months from expiring, then you have the option of updating your address using the DDS 2 GO Mobile App, Online Services or visiting a CSC.
If visiting a CSC and you have a Secure driver’s license or ID card or your current driver’s license or ID card is more than 6 months from expiring, then you will need to bring one (1) document showing your new address.
You should bring all required documentation when you visit the CSC. A list of acceptable documents can be found on the Secure ID.
8. Can I use my P.O. Box as my address?
a) Yes, your P.O. Box can be used as your mailing address. Please note a verifiable Residential Address must be provided for your records.
b) The P.O. Box can be printed on a regular license/id and mailed to the P.O. Box but you must request that your P.O. Box be printed on your regular license/id. The Residential address is the default address.
c) A P.O. Box cannot be printed on a CDL but your card can be mailed to the P.O. Box you provide. The Residential Address will print on your CDL document.
Click Secure ID for a list of acceptable documents proving residential address.
9. Can I use a personal check as proof of residency?
Yes, checks are accepted as proof of residency as long as your full name and address is listed on it.