SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification For Entitlements) is used to retrieve data from many databases to determine a non-citizen's lawful status in the U.S.

  • 1. SAVE does not have my correct immigration status, what should I do?

    If you believe that the SAVE verification did not provide accurate information about your status:

    • Schedule an appointment for an in-person interview at a local USCIS office at the InfoPass Web site or call the National Customer Service Center, 1-800-375-5283.

    Expand Collapse
  • 2. Why does DDS need my telephone number?

    It is important for DDS to be able to call applicants about the status of their SAVE verification case. Upon retrieval of a response, a DDS representative will call you

    Expand Collapse
  • 3. Why didn't I receive a hard copy of my driver's license/permit/ID card in the mail?
    • You should receive your hard copy within 45 days.  If you have not received it after 45 days, please contact DDS or visit your Customer Service Center. 
    Expand Collapse
  • 4. My case has resulted in a 3rd level verification failure, what should I do?

    Please contact USCIS for a resolution. Once your case is resolved, you can re-apply for a driver's license/permit/ID card with DDS. Please be advised that there can be a delay between the time USCIS resolves your case and when DDS is able to issue your driver's license/permit/ID card.

    Expand Collapse
  • 5. How many days do I have to return to DDS once I've been notified by DDS that I have been cleared for level 2 or level 3?

    The confirmation/response from USCIS is only valid for 60 days. If you do not return within 60 days, DDS will have to start the SAVE verification process over again. This could result in further delays.

    Expand Collapse
  • 6. The DDS representative called and told me to return to the local Customer Service Center because my status has been confirmed. But the Customer Service Center told me something different. What should I do?

    Remain at the DDS Customer Service Center and ask that a manager contact the Central Issuance Team to confirm your status.

    Expand Collapse
  • 7. Can I get a temporary permit or license to drive while the DDS is verifying my lawful status?

    No. A temporary permit or license is not available while your SAVE case is pending resolution or if verification is not successful.

    Expand Collapse
  • 8. How long will it be before I get a call to return to DDS?

    You should expect a call from a DDS Representative within 30 business days.   

    Expand Collapse
  • 9. What is InfoPass?

    InfoPass is a free and convenient service that allows you to schedule an appointment with a USCIS Officer by using the internet.

    Expand Collapse
  • 10. What is SEVIS?

    SEVIS is an acronym for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a web-based program administered by USCIS. The system is used to manage non-citizens students, exchange visitors, and their dependents within the U.S. education system.

    Expand Collapse
  • 11. What is SAVE?

    SAVE is an acronym for Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements. It is a Department of Homeland Security/United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) program. It is used to retrieve data from many databases to determine a non-citizen's lawful status in the U.S.

    Expand Collapse
  • 12. Will my appointment notice from USCIS serve as proof of lawful status for the purpose of being issued a driver's license/permit/ID card?

    No, it is only a notice of your appointment with USCIS. DDS cannot accept this notice because it does not prove lawful status in the U.S.

    Expand Collapse
  • 13. Why did you have to send my documents to U.S.C.I.S when I know that I have lawful status in the United States?

    DDS is required by law to verify the lawful status of all non-citizen applicants through SAVE. If the documents are sent to USCIS for 3rd level verification, your lawful status could not be determined without reviewing the documents. 

    Expand Collapse
  • 14. Can I apply for an extension on my driver’s license if my immigration documents are still being processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?

    Yes. The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension. The non-citizen MUST meet the following requirements:

    • Must be an existing DDS customer.
    • The Georgia license, permit, or identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days.
    • Present an original I-797C Notice of Action. It provides proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States.
    Expand Collapse