You can apply for a Restricted (Farm Waiver) Commercial License in Georgia at 18 years of age.  Restrictions apply until you are 21.   

  • Checkbox

    Basic Requirements

    • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply. 

    • Applicants between the age of 18 to 21 will be restricted to drive in Georgia only (Intrastate). On or after the 21st birthday, the application must go into any Customer Service Center to have the "Georgia Only" Restriction removed.  

    • All applicants must hold a valid regular Georgia Driver's License. 

    • If applying for the first time or upgrading, you must have a valid Class AP or BP Instructional Permit (CLP). You are required to hold your CLP for 14 days before applying for a full CDL.  NOTE:  A CLP issued on or after July 1, 2021, will be valid for 365 days.

  • Checkbox

    Plan Ahead

    All Customers visiting a center must submit the required Online License/ID/Permit form.

    If taking an Automobile, Motorcycle Skills, or CDL Road Test, don't forget to Schedule a Road Test Appointment.    

  • Checkbox

    Get the required documents

    • Complete the Commercial Application (CAP) at any Customer Service Center. The CAP fee is $35. Fees are waived for veterans and school bus drivers who present the required waiver.

      The $35 CAP fee is valid for 4 test attempts. After the fourth failed attempt, a new CAP and the $35 fee are required. Also, if 360 days pass in between test attempts, a new CAP and the $35 fee are required.

    • Federal and State regulations require drivers to certify their Driving Category - the type of driving they will be engaged in. Your self-certification will determine if you will be required to provide a copy of your Medical Card. 

    • Complete the required Waiver Form.  Download this pdf file. Application for Farm Related Services and Industries Waiver

    • Applicant's new to Georgia must surrender any out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card.

    • If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen: 
      • You must provide a copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from the state that issued the card.
      • The MVR must be dated within the last 60 days.
      • Note: A copy can be faxed to DDS directly from the other state agency.
    • Documentation showing your identity, residential address, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.

    • If you plan to take a CDL Road Test, don't forget to schedule a CDL Road Test Appointment

  • Checkbox

    At your visit

    Be prepared to:

    • Show all your documents. 
    • Pass a Vision Exam.
    • Take and pass the required written knowledge exams.  

      • There's a $10 permit fee that is paid prior to taking the knowledge exams.  If all exams are passed, the $10 fee pays for the instructional permit.  If any of the exams are not passed, the $10 fee is retained as a testing fee.  The $10 permit fee would be paid again at the next test attempt. 

      • All CDL written (knowledge) exams must begin at least 45 minutes prior to the Customer Center closing time. 

      • Download the  Download this pdf file. Commercial Driver's Manual  for more information on test requirements.          

    • If you are applying for a CDL for the first time or upgrading, you must have a valid Class AP or BP Instructional Permit. If you have not held the CLP for 14 days, you will be required to apply for the CLP.  NOTE:  A CLP issued on or after July 1, 2021, will be valid for 365 days.                

    • If you're adding endorsements, please be prepared to take and pass the Endorsement Exams. See Adding CDL Endorsements for more information.

    • Take and pass the CDL Road Skills Test. 

    • Take a Photo.

    • Pay the license fee.  See Fees and Terms for more information.

  • Checkbox

    Restricted Class B - Conditions and Restrictions

    • Applicant must have a good driving record under 49 CFR 383.3(f). Drivers who have not held any motor vehicle license for at least one year will not be eligible for this waiver. Drivers with more than two years of driving experience must meet the two most recent years' good driving record requirements.
    • Restricted CDL holders are limited to operating Group B vehicles, as described in 49 CFR 383.
    • Restricted CDL holders may not drive vehicles carrying any placarded quantities of hazardous materials except for:
      • diesel fuel in quantities of 1,000 gallons or less liquid fertilizers (i.e., plant nutrients) in vehicles or implements of husbandry with total capacities of 3,000 gallons or less
      • solid fertilizers (i.e., solid plant nutrients) that are not transported with organic substances.
    • Restricted CDL holders wishing to transport quantities of hazardous(dangerous) material that require placarding must obtain a Class B CDL with Hazmat. A Hazmat endorsement requires knowledge and skills testing, as well as a TSA background check.
    • Restricted CDL holders may not operate a commercial motor vehicle beyond 150 miles from the place of business or the farm currently served.


    1. The restricted CDL holder must possess a valid Farm Related Services Waiver card while operating a commercial motor vehicle.

    2. Operation of a non-commercial vehicle is allowed during these times, even if the waiver has not been renewed.
  • Checkbox

    Additional Information