Military CDL Skills Test Waiver
The Department of Driver Services is committed to expediting the entry of veterans into civilian employment through the transportation industry. This information is for Military Service Members applying for a Georgia Commercial License.
- The Military CDL Skills Test Waiver will allow qualified military service members the option to apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) without having to take the skills (road) test.
- Military service members that satisfy ALL the following criteria are eligible for the waiver;
- Active duty or military service members that have been honorably discharged within 1 year or less.
- Active duty or military service members that are experienced in operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that is of the same class and type, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her honorable discharge from the military.
Note: Military service members that DO NOT meet the above criteria must apply through the regular CDL process. For more information visit the CDL Homepage.
Military service members must complete theform in its entirety.
- The front page must be completed and signed by the military service member.
- The back page must be completed and signed by his/her Commanding Officer (CO).
Note: The CO must certify what kind of vehicle(s) the applicant has operated, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her discharge from the military.
All fees must be paid:
- CDL Application Fee -$35
- License Fee - $20
Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Application Process
- The military service member can visit any DDS Customer Service Center to complete the appropriate knowledge test(s).
- Complete the Commercial Driver’s License application and notify the team member you are applying for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver.
- The military service member must successfully pass the knowledge test (minimum passing score of 80 for all CDL Test)
- To ensure you have all the necessary documentation/forms please reference the following required documents:
Commercial Driver’s License: Restrictions
Based on the responses from theapplication the following restrictions may apply:
- Full air brakes - No restriction code required
- Air over Hydraulic - Restriction code Z
- No Air brakes - Restriction code L
- Only gooseneck truck (no Truck Trailer) - Restriction code O
- Automatic Transmission – Restriction code E
Note: The CDL knowledge test(s) cannot be waived. The transfers of School Bus(s) and /or Passenger (P) endorsements under this Waiver program are prohibited.