CDL Medical Certificate Help
Click CDL Medical Certificate and Self-Certification Process for full details on submitting your CDL Medical Certificate and Self-Certification.
RULES FOR EXCEPTED and NON-EXCEPTED
If you answer "YES" to any of the questions below, your commercial driver status is EXCEPTED (E).
If you drive for any other reason than those listed below, your commercial driver's status is NON-EXCEPTED (N).
- Drive a school Bus?
- Transport for a federal government, state or political subdivision?
- Occasionally transport personal property (Personal use)?
- Drive a fire truck or rescue vehicle?
- Drive for custom farm harvesting operations?
- Transport human corpes, sick or injured persons?
- Drive a 9-15 passenger van (<26,001 pounts)?
- Drive a non-combination vehicle controlled and operated by a farmer (no harzardous materials)?
- Provide emergency delivery of propane?
- Transport migrant workers?
- Transport bees seasonally as a Beekeeper?
RULES FOR INTRASTATE (A) or INTERSTATE (I)
- You drive inside the State of GA only AND the cargo on your vehicle is from inside the state of GA and will not leave the State of GA.
- You drive from the state of GA to any other State or Foreign country: OR
- You move cargo in the state of GA that came from another state; OR
- Your cargo will be moved to another state or foreign country
Based on your answers above you must certify one of the four (4) following categories:
- Non-excepted Interstate (NI) - I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce and am required to maintain federal medical certification. (Medical Certificate/Card Required)
- Non-excepted Intrastate (NA) - I operate or expect to operate only in intrastate commerce and am required to meet FMCSA driver qualification requirements. (Medical Certificate/Card Required)
- Excepted Interstate (EI) - I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, but engage exclusively in operations that qualify me for exception from the requirement to maintain federal medical certification.
- Excepted Intrastate (EA) - I operate or expect to operate only in a city, county, state or federal vehicle only, and I am exempt from the FMCSA driver qualification requirements.