Motorcycle Basic Riders Course (BRC)
Successful completion of the Basic Rider's Course is the best place for a new rider to start. This course includes motorcycle knowledge and skill tests. It consists of approximately 5 hours of formal classroom activities and 10 hours of riding instruction (conducted over two or three sessions). The course is a license test waiver program conducted by the state of Georgia Department of Driver Services. Motorcycles and helmets are provided for your use during the course.
If you own a scooter, you may ride your own scooter, 51-350cc, in the course. Scooter students must call GMSP at 678-413-8400 after registering and inform staff of their intent to use a scooter (so we can notify your Coach).
Successful graduates earn a 90-day Motorcycle License Test Waiver. The DDS waives the written and riding portions of your Motorcycle License application for 90 days from the completion date of your course. To successfully graduate, students must attend and be on time for all sessions, get 80% or better on a written evaluation, and pass an on-motorcycle skills evaluation.
If a student is under the age of 18:
- a parent or legal guardian must accompany the student to the first class meeting to sign a waiver form for the student to participate in the course.
- Students under the age of 18 who successfully complete the Basic Rider Course, earn a 90-day Motorcycle License Test Waiver. However, to get their license, the student must be at least 17 years of age before the 90-day waiver expires.
- They must also comply with the requirements of Joshua’s Law Requirements.
NOTE: An MSF Course Completion card may earn you an insurance discount.
The GMSP requires every student to:
- Sign and date a course waiver form
- Bring a parent or legal guardian to the first season if you are under the age of 18
- Wear a DOT approved helmet (Provided during the course if needed)
- Wear eye protection (face shield, goggles, or glasses)
- Wear full-fingered gloves which allow good grip and control manipulation
- Wear long-sleeved shirt and/or jacket which covers the upper torso/arms
- Wear sturdy pants which cover the entire leg in the seated position
- Wear over the ankle footwear (Please no high top sneakers)
- Depending on forecasted temperatures riders are advised to bring cold-weather gear, water or other non-alcohol beverages, lunch/snacks and sunscreen
- Be prepared to have a great time learning to ride
Courses are sometimes conducted in inclement weather such as rain, cold, heat, etc. It is recommended all students brings the following:
- Wet weather gear (rain jackets, rain pants, etc.)
- Cold weather gear (warm jackets, sweaters, etc.)
- Water or other non-alcoholic beverages
- Lunch/snacks as necessary
- $250.00: Enrollment fee
- $300.00: Out-of-state fee
Register online or call 678-413-8400.
Note: There is no time or mileage requirement between courses. Each course can be completed right after a previous one. Contact the GMSP for course availability.