Emergency Message - On April 1, 2020, DDS will be providing limited Commercial Driver Services by appointment only.
Instructional (Learners) Permit (CP)
Also known as Learners Permit.
- Applicants must be at least 15 years of age.
- Pass a Vision Exam.
- Pass a Knowledge Exam. No appointment is necessary. Will be given when you apply.
- Applicants under age 18 are required to have Parent/Guardian, Responsible Adult or Authorized Driver Training Instructor to sign the application for the driver's license. They also have the authority to request the driver's license to be revoked at any time before the applicant’s 18th birthday.
NOTE: Click Responsible Adult for more information.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.
- If you are new to Georgia, you must surrender any out of state driver's license/permit/ID card.
- If the applicant was previously issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card. The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. The DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
- The Responsible Adult must provide paperwork to show their relationship. See Responsible Adult for more information.
- All documents must be in English.
- A Georgia DDS Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) must be signed and notarized from the applicant’s school. It is only valid for 30 days.
- All applicants under the age of 18 not enrolled in school must provide a high school diploma, GED, special diploma, certification of high school completion, or proof of enrollment in a GED program or a postsecondary school.
- All Applicants visiting a customer service center must fill out an application/form. Please SKIP A STEP and fill out form before you arrive. Once submitted valid for 30 days.
CP Permit Fee = $10.00. See FEES and TERMS - for more information.
Additional Testing and License Requirements Overview
- Can operate a Class C vehicle when accompanied by a person at least 21 years of age who is licensed to drive a class C vehicle, who is fit and capable of exercising control over the vehicle, and who is occupying a seat beside the driver.