- A GA Driver’s License can be renewed up to 150 days prior to the expiration date of the license.
- A GA Driver’s License can be renewed if your license has not expired over 2 years. If your license has expired over 2 years you will have to retake the driver's test.
- The renewed permanent driver's license or ID card will be delivered to the Post Office within 7 days after the transaction is completed. However, if a renewal includes an address change it generally takes 14-21 days to process in order to validate new addresses for security purposes.
- GA Department of Driver Services issues Secure ID Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards to help protect Georgians from identify theft. Customers who are renewing or applying for the first time, must visit a DDS Customer Service Center in person and present the documents proving identity, social security number and residential address. Click here for more information.
Persons applying for a renewal will be issued an interim driver's license while a permanent driver's license is being processed. To ensure receipt of the permanent driver's license the customer's current address must be on file with the Department of Driver Services (DDS).
- Complete a driver's license/ID card form. (click here to complete form)
- Take a new photo.
- Applicants who are 64 or older must pass a vision exam.
Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful presence in the United States. Click here for more information.
Note: Documents provided to prove identity must be original or certified copies. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- If applicant's Georgia driver's license is expired for two years or more the following tests must be taken and passed in order to obtain a driver's license.
- Road Signs
- Road Rules
- Road Skills Test
- Vision Exam
- Additional testing will be required to obtain a Class M, B or A license.
FEES and TERMS - Select for Details.
- Cash, Check, Money Order, Debit or Credit Card, American Express, Discover, Master Card and Visa
A customer account must be established to utilize the "Online Services". This account can be used to conduct an online service transaction, obtain information specific to your driving record or check the status of your order.
Listed below are the requirements to qualify for a driver's license/ID card renewal online:
- Applicant's current License, ID or Permit document must be Secure ID compliant. (Have a gold star printed in the upper right corner .) Click here for more information.
- Applicant holds only a regular non-commercial driver's license/permit/ID card that is current or has not been expired for more than 2 years.
- If applicant's driver's license is suspended, cancelled or revoked then only an ID card or limited permit can be renewed online.
- Applicant must be age 64 years or younger.
- Applicant must be a US Citizen.
- A credit or debit card (Visa, Master card, American Express or Discover Card) is needed to process an online payment.
** Name changes cannot be processed online; legal documentation of the name change must be presented at a Customer Service Center.
The Georgia Department of Driver Services offers renewal by mail options under limited circumstances for U.S. citizen customers who are unable to renew their license in person.
The following customers may utilize this option:
- Customers stationed out of state in the military, and their dependents stationed with them
- Customers attending school out of the State of Georgia, and their dependents who are with them
- Customers temporarily working out of state, and their dependents who are with them
- Customers who are physically incapacitated and unable to visit a DDS Customer Service Center
The application package is included here. Please follow the instructions to complete the forms and submit them to DDS for processing.
Please note: Processing of applications usually takes about ten (10) days once we receive your complete application package. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We recommend that you submit your completed package to DDS at least thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of your license.